Side Effects of Meladerm Cream

by Angela Clare · 62 comments

in Meladerm Ingredients, Meladerm Reviews, Meladerm Side Effects

Pin It

Are there any side effects associated with Meladerm Cream?

Meladerm Side EffectsDuring the early part of 1999, Civant Skin Care began its plan of developing a safe and effective, yet, powerful skin lightening product. Before it was launched, this product was tested numerous times to make sure that it was perfectly safe for regular use.

The formula that was developed for this product was designed to be used by all skin types.

However, some people do have extremely sensitive skin and certain skin care products can cause a dermatitis type reaction. This is either an irritant contact dermatitis where the product damages the skin or an allergic contact dermatitis which has to do with the immune system. This type of reaction might involve a redness or swelling of the skin.

Meladerm Side Effects Are Minimal

Whilst most people report no side effects from using Meladerm Cream some of the possible side effects of Meladerm include:

• Mild skin irritation

• Increased risk of sun damage

• Minor skin cracking (temporary)

If you do experience any skin irritation it is recommended that you stop using Meladerm. Since Meladerm is also a known to have exfoliating powers, it is necessary for you to use a sun block at all times. Using a sunscreen that is friendly to your skin type will decrease the risk of sun damage while using this treatment.

There is also a possibility that in the first three to five days after application of the product, minor cracks will appear on your skin but this is usually temporary and not reported by many users.

The Natural Ingredients of Meladerm Skin Lightener

Meladerm is considered as a natural product because its ingredients are derived principally from plants along with other organic compounds that  have been shown to promote healthy skin.

Intensive research was undertaken to find the best combination of these ingredients and Meladerm is free from harmful ingredients such as mercury, parabens, steroids and hydroquinone – substances that are known to be toxic to the body.

To alleviate any doubt from the users, the company has publicised a full list of the ingredients used in making the product. The main components are listed below in a little more detail so you can be reassured that they are natural compounds:

Bearberry (Arctostaphulos uvaursi)

• Bearberry extract (Arbutin) – This edible red berry is a favorite food of bears and has long been used in herbal medicine. Bearberry contains something called arbutin, which is a natural skin brightener and a natural alternative to synthetic hydroquinone.
  • Alpha Arbutin – Meladerm also uses a biosynthetic form of arbutin. Although it is a very expensive ingredient to manufacture, even at very low concentrations, a-arbutin has shown to be extremely effective in inhibiting the formation of melanin. A one-month study on 80 Chinese women, using a 1% alpha arbutin concentration, resulted in a “skin lightening effect”. It was faster and more effective than kojic acid and it left hydroquinone in the shade.
  • Tego Cosmo C 250 – is a natural amino acid that helps to regulate cell growth and control PH  levels of the skin. It has also been shown to inhibit the tyrosine enzyme that is associated with melanin production
  • Gigawhite, – is a plant extract which also serves as a preservative-free skin whitener.
  • Kojic Acid – is a natural alternative for hydroquinone that works as an age spot inhibitor.
  • Other ingredients include: Licorice extract, Niacinamide or B23, Mulberry Extract, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Lemon Juice Extract, Emblica extract, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Rice Bran Protein, Soybean Protein and Ceramide 2 (for anti-ageing).

A Reminder for Users

Since there are different types of skin tones, keep in mind that certain skin types may react differently to the usage of Meladerm.

When using new skin care products, there is often an after effect that you will feel right after using the product for the first time. So it is important to note that there is a possibility of skin irritation occuring during the first application of the product but this should only be a mild instance.

If you do suffer ongoing or severe skin irritation stop using Meladerm immediately.

Because of the natural ingredients in  Meladerm, it is unlikely  a user will suffer any major side effects with continuous product usage. Meladerm has been proven to be a safe and effective skin lightener, with a loyal band of satisfied customers, which is why the product continues to thrive in the market today.

Visit Civant Skin Care to find out more about Meladerm side effects.

{ 62 comments… read them below or add one }

Regina Lee April 15, 2014 at 5:33 am

I am interested in buying the Meladerm cream. Can I buy in Singapore? Please advise
where I can get one if Singapore carry this product.

Thanks

Angela Clare April 22, 2014 at 2:58 am

Meladerm is available online and they ship all over the world. Visit the Civant Skincare website for more information.

Rebecca August 18, 2014 at 9:16 am

Hi Angela,
Thanks for the article. Very helpful! I have read on the Meladerm website that the product is not recommended for pregnant ladies. Is that true ? I am a married lady and planning to have a baby(not pregnant at present but planning to) . Please suggest can I use Meladerm. Since I am suffering from hyper pigmentation, I really want to use this product but don’t want to take any risk. Kindly suggest and reply ASAP.

Thanks !

Angela Clare August 25, 2014 at 2:25 am

Hi Rebecca
Yes it is true, the makers of Meladerm suggest you do not use this product if you are pregnant or nursing. In the meantime it would probably be okay to use 🙂

priscilla August 26, 2014 at 12:24 pm

pls i am chocolate skinned( uneven facial complexion) with hyper pigmentation around my eyes down to both sides of my face whereas in between my eyebrow and nose area fairer than the rest of my face

priscilla August 26, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hi Angela,
sorry for the incomplete sentence would like to know if using the product will even out my face or lighten the hyper pigmentation part leaving the fairer part more lightened.Would be grateful if you would recommend to me any good sun screen that would not react with meladerm.
Thanks!!

Angela Clare August 29, 2014 at 2:43 am

Hi Priscilla
The manufacturer, Civant Skin Care, recommend applying their products as an even layer over the affected area of your skin only, rubbing the cream into the skin until it has absorbed entirely. You can find more questions and information at Civant Skin Care (look under the “Learn Now” tab to see more FAQ’s). They also offer a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee if you are not satisfied with the results.

A good sunscreen should not react with Meladerm. Be aware that not all sunscreens block the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. These rays are different. The UVA rays are responsible for the tanning and ageing of our skin while the UVB rays cause sunburn and are responsible for most skin cancers. When choosing a sunscreen, look for ingredients like Avobenzone (or trade name Parsol 1789) at least 3%, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, or Mexoryl-Sx. Choose a higher SPF to get maximum protection. Neutrogena make a broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 70 that blocks both rays.

mona March 23, 2016 at 1:43 pm

hi
i’m mona i wanna use this cream but i have some issues with my skin that i have large pores on my face and i have lots of blackheads and whiteheads inside my skin so my quesion is this that can this cream work on my these skin porblems too or is it only for fairness ?

Angela Clare April 4, 2016 at 5:18 am

This cream is suitable for people wanting to lighten areas of dark pigmentation, like acne scars. There may be other products more suited to treating blackheads.

vikas yadav April 1, 2016 at 9:33 am

i am 20 years old so can i use meladerm cream?

Angela Clare April 4, 2016 at 5:16 am

Yes this cream is suitable for your age group.

Hema November 17, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Hi Angela.. I’m Hema 23 years old… I’m using steroid cream melacare 5 years in between I stopped that cream my face was very black and so many pimples around in my nose and mouth… IS IT MELADERM CURED THIS PROBLEM ?? MELADERM IS STEROID ?? Any side effects ?? Can I used this meladerm cream lifelong ?? I’m dark skin :(.. meladerm gives me fair skin ?? Please tell me.. and this cream gives me a Permanent white skin ??

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 6:17 am

HI. Meladerm does not contain any steroids or hydroquinine which can cause skin to darken if used over a long period of time. It is suitable for people with darker skins tones including African/American or ethnic groups. If your skin tone is very dark it may take longer to see results. Most people see results in 2-3 months. Also Civant skin care company offer a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not happy with the initial results.

stepny April 10, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Hi Angela
I used meladerm couple of years back on my face as I was suffering from hyper pigmentation and I must say I saw a significant difference on my face. Pigmentation had reduced to some extent but due to financial crisis I could’nt buy it again and had to discontinue. After that my face became darker. I guess it was due to the discontinuation of the cream. Also i did not apply sunscreen which furthur worsen pigmentation.
Now I again want to try meladerm but I am scared that it will again make me dark after I stop using it in future. I am extremely confused that should I go for it or not. Please suggest as I want to get of my hyper pigmentation on my face. Please reply at the earliest.
Thanks

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 6:49 am

Some people need to continue using Meladerm from time to time after the desired result is reached. Meladerm reduces melanin production in the skin which normally protects us from the suns UV rays. It’s recommended that you use a high SPF sun block while using Meladerm for this reason. I would suggest that you could try using this product again but you need to follow their recommendations.

Iman April 30, 2016 at 3:13 am

Hi,
I am going to useeladerm skin lightening creme for the first time. I just have few queries. Do I have to use sunscreen along with Meladerm even if m at home ? and once I stop using this creme how willy skin react, coz I have seen ppl spoil their skin once they stop using skin whitening cream.

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 6:57 am

If you are using Meladerm you should use a sun block if you are going outdoors. Choose one with a high SPF. Meladerm can be used until the desired result is achieved. If your hyperpigmentation is deep rooted you might need to continue small applications of the cream from time to time.

Hina July 14, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I had fulgration laser procedure on my face , now my wound is healed but skin need resurfacing . meladerum cream is good for skin resurfacing ?

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 5:34 am

Hi. Meladerm cream is specifically for whitening and brightening the skin but as helps to improve uneven skin tones and can reduce scarring so it might be helpful.

Penny Ckarke July 25, 2016 at 7:51 am

How long does it take to work. I have been using for 1 month, don’t think it has done anything.

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 5:38 am

The manufacturers recommend 2-3 months to see results. You should see some improvement after 2-4 weeks. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with initial results.

rekha July 31, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hi,this cream using good improvement but stopped the cream what happened again present color will be come????or not please answer me

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 5:43 am

Uisng Meladerm the results will usually be permanent if the hyperpigmentation is in the upper skin layer. If the hyperpigmentation is deeper down you might need to use it again from time to time to maintain the effects. Also you should limit sun exposure and use a high SPF sun screen.

Dayanand M September 2, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Hi, maam i am 22year old ,
I have a problem that ,day by day
My Neck(part) becoming more darker
Then remainig region(body) so ,it
Is possible cure the problem
Please suggest for this .,,,

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 5:50 am

I would suggest trying a skin whitening cream like Meladerm. It is suitable for use on all parts of the body.
You can also search for recipes using natural ingredients. One recipe that helps exfoliate and whiten skin on the neck is to mix lemon juice with a little salt and rub this into your neck. Leave it for 2-3 minutes and rinse it off with warm water.

Anjana September 10, 2016 at 7:24 am

hey angela..i have used skin lite for about 2 years..n now i have got swelling under my eyes..the veins are visible..skin is thin..redness..itching..i want to quit skin lite..can i use meladrem?

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 5:55 am

Skin Lite contains hydroquinine which may cause problems in some people over time. I’m not sure if that is the cause of your issues but you could try Meladerm. It contains all natural ingredients and no hydroquinine. It is suitable for all skin types unless you have super sensitive skin. You should test it with a small patch on your arm or neck first over 3 days if unsure.

Sanaya September 12, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I’m 16 years old can I use this cream ??? Do this cream provide more white ski

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 5:56 am

Yes you can use Meladerm. My 18 year daughter used it to successfully treat her hyperpigmentation. It is designed to whiten skin with all natural ingredients.

Jasmine October 17, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Hi,

Q1: Is the retail price in Singapore Dollars?
Q2: How do I add this product into my daily skin care regime?
Q3: How to choose a good sunscreen that will be react with Meladerm?

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 6:06 am

The retail price in Singapore dollars is approx. $70. You should wash your skin before applying then rub the cream into the skin until it is absorbed. After that you can apply your regular moisturiser, sun screen and make up. I would recommendhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JAYMEE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=onliboatguid-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B002JAYMEE&linkId=e2989209badc72a3bd1d854effc13acb

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 6:12 am

The cost in Singapore dollars is about $70. You should wash your skin first and then apply Meladerm, rubbing it in until it is absorbed. After that you can apply moisturiser, sun block and make up. I would recommend using a high SPF sunscreen like Neutrogena SPF 100.

SAMIA AFREED October 29, 2016 at 3:15 pm

HI Angela clare,
I am 15 year old and have a fair skin with ache, freckles and ache spot ……….. can i use meladerm cream??????????

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 6:14 am

Yes Meladerm can be used at your age. It contains natural ingredients and should not irritate your skin. It can reduce the appearance of acne scars and freckles.

naima December 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I’m dark in complexion.will this cream make me fair

Angela Clare January 13, 2017 at 6:19 am

Meladerm is suitable for any skin colour including Africa/Americam and ethnic groups. If your skin is very dark it may take longer to see results.

Sancthus January 17, 2017 at 3:05 am

Im 15 years old with smooth skin without any spots . can I use this for me . will it cause any side effects for me on my skin

Angela Clare January 20, 2017 at 7:02 am

Hi Sancthus. This cream is designed to lighten the skin if that’s what you are hoping to achieve. It has all natural ingredients so it should be fine to use without side effects. However, just remember you need to wear a good sun screen while you are using this product because it inhibits melanin production and your skin will be more sensitive to the UV rays.

ian January 20, 2017 at 11:27 am

i have an olive fair medium skin tone my legs ,arms and face are dark then my other parts of my body that look fair skin whould meladerm get read of my tan on my face legs and arms and another question whould my green veins become blue would i be fair skin not olive fair skin if a use meladerm

Angela Clare January 23, 2017 at 3:48 am

Hi Ian. Meladerm can be used on all parts of the body to lighten the skin. You will need to avoid excessive sun exposure and use a high SPF sun block when you go outdoors. I don’t believe it will change the colour of your veins.

Sheela February 7, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I started using meladerm 3 weeks ago. It was fine up to now. I feel like a burning sensation on my skin and itch. I am using perfumed exfoliater. I don’t know what is causing my skin to burn and itch. I have got hyperpigmentation. Thank you.

Angela Clare February 7, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Civant skin care advise there is a small chance that your skin may be allergic or hypersensitive to ingredients in their product. It is normal to experience some redness in the first few days of using the product but if your skin is extremely sensitive it may react to the new product. If you are using other products with Meladerm then maybe this could cause your skin to burn or itch also.

Sheela February 7, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Do you think, it is the skin condition that is causing the symptoms?

Sheela February 7, 2017 at 1:28 pm

I started using meladerm cream 3 weeks ago and it was fine. Now my skin is itchy and burns. Is this normal or am doing something wrong. I have got hyperpigmentation.

Dannielle February 15, 2017 at 3:46 pm

I have just started using this cream and have noticed a mild rash on my face. I haven’t been using sun block due to the weather, also sunblock clogs my pores and causes spots. I do exfoliate every other day, should I stop using this product?

Angela Clare February 20, 2017 at 7:16 am

Hi. It is normal to have some redness when you are first using Meladerm. It is suitable for all skin types however if your skin is extra sensitive and the rash is getting worse it might be best to stop using this product.

mona March 2, 2017 at 12:40 am

Dear Angela Clare,

I have read most of the comments here but my query is little indifferent than them, so i thought of writing you to find the exact answers of my concerns.
Currently, I am using La roche Posay Pigment Clar serum,for my discoloration issue.My face and neck has serious discoloration issues and the rest of my body color is relatively fair. In fact, there is a difference of intensity of darkness even within these discolored areas like my my neck i.e my jaw line,mouth area, the collar bone line of my neck, and sides of neck,are more darker than rest of the hyper-pigmentation face patches.

La roche is Helping me with it but the results are pretty slow and almost to nothing on neck however i do see different on my face, but again its much slower than my expectations.I am not in a favor of using any steroid based products on my face therefore i did my required research on meladerm and there’s no serious harm that i could see in using it.

I am pretty positive about the cream now but here are a few questions i wanna address before i lean to it for my concerns.

1) Can I incorporate it in my skin regimen which includes a lot of other products, as in I do layering of anti-aging products including(Drunk elephant’s glycolic acid 12% nightserum/exfoliant and Vitamin C 12%glcolic day serum , Essential Oils blend including (rose-hip,lemon,geranium,carrot seed,sandalwood,lavender) and Josie maran ‘Argan Oil’ as my last step.

Firstly, can meladerm be used along with these anti-aging products ? or as a last step to my current skin regimen on the top of oils?
( I wrote names of brands, so that as a specialist, u may want to kust skip through through their formulas/ingredients for avoiding any future problems).

2.Secondly, if the first query gets the green flag that it goes in coherence with other skin products from other brands, than how long can I Use meladern in one go ?
Can i use it as a permanent part of my skin care for years or couple of months, for maintaining its results permanently without any side effects? or it should be discontinued after a few months use(kindly state number of months as well)to be reincorporated after some gap.

3.Can i apply it on my dark circles too? on the top of my eye cream?

I know i wrote quite some long here, but these are a few reasons that i still haven’t ordered it coz my skin is sensitive to hydroquine products and i didn’t want to take any risk with this one either.

Your reply is much awaited and help me choose best for my skin.

Warm regards,
mona

Angela Clare March 9, 2017 at 6:34 am

Hi Mona
You can use Meladerm with other skin products. Civant skin care advise applying Meladerm first over the areas you wish to lighten. They suggest washing the skin first to improve the effectiveness of the product. Other products such as moisturisers, makeup and sun screen can be used after Meladerm has been applied. Generally it is used until the desired result is achieved. It can be reapplied later if you have a stubborn area of hyperpigmentation to maintain good results. Civant skin care make an eye complex cream that is suitable for treating dark circles. They also have a number of complementary products for skin care. When you click through to the special offer you will find other helpful information on their website including a Contact Us section if you have more specific questions.
Hope that helps, Angela

mona March 2, 2017 at 12:49 am

Dear Angela Clare,

Currently, I am using La roche Posay Pigment Clar serum,for my discoloration issue.My face and neck has serious discoloration issues and the rest of my body color is relatively fair. In fact, there is a difference of intensity of darkness even within these discolored areas like my my neck i.e my jaw line,mouth area, the collar bone line of my neck, and sides of neck,are more darker than rest of the hyper-pigmentation patches on my forehead and cheeks.

1) Can I incorporate it in my skin regimen which includes a lot of other products, as in I do layering of anti-aging products at nigth/day time…
The list is as following:
1) Drunk Elephant’s glycolic acid 12% night serum/exfoliant and,
Vitamin C 12%glcolic day serum
2) Essential Oils blend including (rose-hip,lemon,geranium,carrot seed,sandalwood,lavender)
3) Josie maran ‘Argan Oil, as my last step.

( I wrote names of brands, so that as a specialist, u may want to skip through their formulas/ingredients for avoiding any future skin problems).

2.Secondly, if the first query gets the green flag, that it goes in coherence with other skin products from other brands, then how long can I Use ‘Meladerm’, in one go ?

Can i use it as a permanent part of my skin care for years or couple of months without any side effects? or it should be discontinued after a few months use(kindly state number of months as well)to be reincorporated after some gap.

3.Can i apply it on my dark circles too? on the top of my eye cream?

I know i wrote quite some long here, but these are a few reasons which have kept me back from ordering it until now, coz my skin is sensitive to hydroquine products and i didn’t want to take any risk with this one either.

Your reply is much awaited and help me choose best for my skin.

Warm regards,
mona

Monica March 21, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Afternoon,

I am very keen to use your product, however I have a few questions.

I am of Indian (Asian) decent, and a few years ago I was having Lazer hair removal on my face, and was burnt over a period of time on my cheeks on both sides of my face.

I have used a number of different products and some have worked (e.g,. Jan Marini) however they have all been peel based.
What I would like to know is, is this product suitable for my skin type being Brown, and will it help with the hyperpigmentation on my cheeks?

I would also like to lighten my skin on my face as a result of a sun kissed face, would this product help me achieve my desired results?

I look forward to hear from you soon.
Monica from London

Angela Clare March 22, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Hi Monica. I believe that Meladerm would be suitable for treating your hyperpigmentation. Itcan also be used to lighten the skin. Meladerm is all natural and suitable for all skin types. It is suitable for darker skin tones although it may take a little longer to see results. Civant skin care suggest testing Melderm for allergic reactions by putting a small amount on your neck or arm prior to using it on the face. They also offer a money back guarantee if you decide the product is not for you.

Angela Clare March 22, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Hi Monica. I believe that Meladerm would be suitable for treating your hyperpigmentation. It can also be used to lighten the skin. Meladerm is all natural and suitable for all skin types. It is suitable for darker skin tones although it may take a little longer to see results. Civant skin care suggest testing Melderm for allergic reactions by putting a small amount on your neck or arm prior to using it on the face. They also offer a money back guarantee if you decide the product is not for you.

Tanveer March 29, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Hi, You strongly recommend this product for removal of hyperpigmentation and other associated skin problems.But i want to know if the american people are using this product. How much amount of cream is required to rub at once on the face and if it is needed to rub during day or night.

Angela Clare April 3, 2017 at 3:44 am

Hi. You would need 1/2 ml to do you face. This is about half a pump. A 1.7oz bottle of Meladerm would last about 7 weeks if applied twice a day. It is recommended that you wash you face first then apply. Makeup and sunscreen can be applied after.

tasnim April 17, 2017 at 2:12 am

hello…. i bought meladerm recently….i just started to use it…my question is,i am using this cream morning and night time,so can i use any other brand mosharising cream between morning and night…coz i am feeling little bit dryness in my face….i am living in Australia…and here is now cold weather, temperature is 16 degree…

thank you i will get my answer asp.

Angela Clare April 27, 2017 at 7:49 am

Hi Tasnim. Yes you can use a moisturiser as well. It is recommended that you wash your skin first and then apply an even layer of Meladerm to the affected area. After this is rubbed in you can apply moisturisers, sunblock or makeup.

Shawn April 25, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Hello I’ve recently started using the meladerm cream and the exfoliating serum. I am noticing that it is trying to even out my skin tone on my face but however it is making me a shade darker instead of lighter, I also do see a few pimples in some areas of my face. Is this normal in the process, am I doing something wrong or is it maybe that this product is not for me ? Your response/answer would be greatly appreciated, thank you !!

Angela Clare April 27, 2017 at 7:45 am

Hi. It is normal for some people to see some redness or darkening of the treated area while your skin adjusts to the product. If you think your skin is oversensitive to the product then it may not suit you.

Madhuri May 17, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I m already been from many dermatologiat and many creams and laser also but no use sometimes the spot get invisible but they appeAR AGAIN SO U THINK THAT THIS PRODUCT IS USEFUL FOR ME

Angela Clare May 23, 2017 at 12:28 pm

You could try Meladerm and see if you like it. Civant Skin Care offer a money back guarantee if you are not happy with the product.

Samy May 18, 2017 at 8:43 am

Hi. Currently I am using ducray melascreen for hyperpigmentation and sunscreen SPF30 of No7. My skin is really sensitive and dry, after 5 minutes of ducray application I can feel itchiness on my skin. Please advise if meladerm is a harsh cream and I can use it the next day I get it(and discontinue ducray melascreen) or I need to wait for a week.

Apart from that, I noticed a very slight wrinkle on my forehead might be due to my dry/sensitive skin or due to cream reaction making it dry, I hope this cream will not deepen that wrinkle and kindly inform from I can purchase it safely online.

Looking forward.

Angela Clare May 23, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Hi Samy. I’m not sure about all the ingredients in Duracay melascreen, but it appears to have glycolic acid and azelaic acid which might irritate the skin. I believe Meladerm is a lighter cream. It has all natural lighteners and is suitable for all skin types. You can get a full refund if you are not happy.